April's Fool

Dave got me .... got me good. We e-filed our federal and state returns over a month ago. Got the federal refund about two weeks later, but STILL haven't gotten our state refund. On Tuesday when I got home there was a letter from the Utah State Tax Commission re: Preliminary Notice of Audit for Tax Year 2007. It takes the IRS at least 2 years to identify a return for an audit... but what do I know, I don't work with Utah State Tax Commission. So I read the letter. It says that we need to schedule a meeting, at which time we are going to be advised of the items that are going to be audited. The letter goes on to tell us about our rights during audit, right to appeal etc etc. It is signed by Edward Bukowski, Tax Audit Officer. Dave asked me if I know him. No, I said.

Well, I wasn't too concerned. I knew the return was correct or at most had a minor mistake. We have all of the required records. But still, it sucks that we'll have to go through it. Then Dave says APRIL'S FOOL. I didn't believe him. The letter sounds authentic. He says "look at the postage." Sure enough it is for zero amount ... and at the top of the letter is says "Via Airmail."

I got gotten :) Good job Dave!

Comments

Dave said…
You gotta be good to get a tax attorney with a tax April Fools.

-Papa

Popular Posts